Translate

Tuesday, September 24, 2013

Getting Crafty: Easy Fall Decor

Here's a little something different than my usual furniture project. I've been having fun playing with burlap so I thought I'd share some easy DIY projects for your enjoyment. Best part is these are both 1. simple, 2. cheap (about $5-10 tops especially if you have a coupon), and 3. take about 15 minutes to finish. You kiddos can even help with the non glue gun part.

I found two different styles of wreath to show you. One is more clean and tidy, the other is a little wild. Choose whichever fits your style. Personally I like the "wild" one.

Step 1: Raid your local craft store for  all the burlap (also called "Jute") that you can get your hands on
I'm starting with my favorite, the "wild", or rustic, if you will, wreath. Both are very simple, this one is slightly more time-consuming.
                                           Wreath#1 Wild, Rustic Style

For our "wild one": You'll need an old wire hanger and about 2 yards of burlap, cut into 2" wide strips.

                                          
                                        Unwind and bend an old hanger into a circle shape. 
Fold burlap strips "accordion style" and push onto the wire circle. You'll need to wiggle the folded strip a little to get it on the hanger. 

Here's the finished wreath. I put about 25 strips on the hanger. You can finish this one off with some silk or dried flowers if desired. 

I got all of these at the dollar store. Pretty and cheap= win, win

Wreath #2 Elegant, with Clean Lines

Supplies needed: a frame to wrap your burlap around, 2 inch wide burlap ribbon, glue gun, extra burlap for flowers. 
I used a  dollar store wreath as the "frame" for this one. 
Finished "neat style" wreath. 
I used some scrap fabric and burlap to make this cute roses. Just twist the burlap around itself and hot  glue the bottom to make these. 
Hope I inspired you to try a simple, 15 minute project. Happy crafting everyone! 

No comments:

Post a Comment