Translate

Thursday, February 14, 2013

Dresser Upcycle!

Sorry I have been away for awhile, I was busy entering a new decade. But it's been treating me well so far so I'm ok with turning another year older and wiser.
In the midst of parties and presents, I just finished a dresser make-over for a friend. I learned some things, and I decided to be a giver and share with you all.


The project: a cherry wood Bassett dresser. It was solid, but definitely needed some new life.

My client wanted a rich, gray color for the dresser, and, as luck would have it, I had just found some grey enamel paint in the oops section of my favorite, neighborhood hardware store. Fortuitous? I think so.

I have been doing a lot of shabby chic, vintage-y type effects lately, but that wasn't her thing. We were going for a more modern, clean look.

First thing to go, that dated hardware. I switched the pulls out for brushed brass knobs. I patched the holes with plastic wood, drilled a new hole on each drawer, and then primed and painted the fronts. That was the easy part.




To get a strong, protective seal over the enamel, I decided to use lacquer. Thinking spray lacquer sounded like a great, fast way to cover the dresser, I purchased a few bottles. (I should have known, spray bottles and I do not get along) After reading the directions and putting the first coat down I was not pleased. There were several slumps and runs in the lacquer, even after my very thin coat.
I tried to sand down the problem areas and spray again, but again I was not getting the smooth finish I needed. So after another trip the hardware store I picked up some brush on lacquer. Such a difference in the finish!

Here's the finished product. Much improved on the original.


1 comment:

  1. By chance do you still have the original handles? I have the same dresser but am missing one handle and have been searching for them.

    ReplyDelete